Monday, October 17, 2011

Day 39 - New Roads, Louisiana to Plaquemine, Louisiana (52 Miles)

Nice ride past some gorgeous plantations this morning. Also had a beautiful ride this afternoon beneath a canopy of live oak trees along an alligator infested bayou.

My tire problem was solved by Dave from Dave's Bicycle Repair (ph. 225-924-4337), who is from Baton Rouge and makes mobile repairs. He brought me some new, heavy duty tires and I am set to go.

Dave is also going to help me with boxing my bike and bringing it and me to the train station for my return home next week. He is a touring cyclist himself and a real gem of a guy.

I had a nice conversation this afternoon with a gentleman who lived near the bayou. I inquired about alligators and he told me that he and his wife enjoy watching alligators swim down the river from their front porch while they have their morning coffee. He said if they get too "friendly" he throws stones at them to drive them back to the bayou. He volunteered a story about a kid throwing a stick at an alligator in the bayou and the neighbor's dog jumping in to fetch the stick. He said he was glad that the dog escaped unharmed but that it would have been "fun to watch" if the alligator had caught the dog.

I keep thinking about the advice I was given up river about zigzagging in the unlikely event that an alligator were to start to chase me....

I had a wonderful meal and a very enjoyable conversation tonight with Cardell and Schowanda, owners of Holla Back Hot Wings & Things here in Plaquemine.

No comments:

Post a Comment