Thursday, October 20, 2011

Going It Alone

I have often been asked what possessed me to make this journey alone. The simple answer is that I knew no one who had both the time and desire to do it with me. I mistakenly assumed I would hook up with others doing all or part of the MRT. I did ride with a number of riders in the large metropolitan areas who were out for the day and rode for a few hours with me; but I did not meet anyone else who was doing all, or even a part, of the MRT.

As with everything, there have been advantages and disadvantages to going solo. There were many lonely stretches where it would have been nice to have had company. And it probably would be safer to have done this with others. But I know that I would not have taken the initiative to meet nearly as many wonderful people had I done this with a group or even another person. And going solo permitted me to do exactly what I wanted to do without making any compromises to accommodate anyone else's needs or desires. On balance, I am glad that I did it alone. But I am excited to have my friend Bob join me for the conclusion of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment