Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Day 40 - Plaquemine, Louisiana to Donaldsonville, Louisiana (41 Miles)

I shipped all of my camping equipment back home today. I only have two or three riding days and two nights left to go. Amtrak will allow me to take on board only my boxed bicycle and a small carry on bag, so I had to send most of my things back; and it was easier to do that in Placquemine than it would have been in New Orleans.

Camping has been a very important facet of this trip. I have met many very nice people in campgrounds and I have really enjoyed the outdoors. Moreover, carrying camping gear and food has made me pretty self sufficient and given me a feeling of liberation. So an important aspect of my trip is now over.

Everyone down here in southern Louisiana is talking about the cold front that is moving in this afternoon and tomorrow. The local paper labeled the forecast for tomorrow as "Super Cold" - daytime high tomorrow of only 68 degrees and lows tonight in the low 40s!!

Tomorrow I enter the Big Easy. I will be staying with my friend Bob Conway's parents tomorrow night. Bob arrives in New Orleans on Thursday night. We will be leaving on Friday morning for the southernmost point in Louisiana, which is about 95 miles south of New Orleans.

No comments:

Post a Comment