Sunday, October 23, 2011

My Wife, Sheila

Almost everyone who has met me over the course of the past six weeks, has looked at the ring on my finger and asked what my wife thinks of this adventure. It definitely would be one of the first questions I would ask if I were them. I think my answer surprises them.

I have been talking about doing this ride and doing research around it for over ten years. So Sheila has had to endure listening to me talk about it periodically for years. Our original plan was to do it in September and October of 2013, at which time we would be transitioning to empty nester status. In typical fashion, Sheila had offered to serve as my sag wagon in a support vehicle. As we were driving home from dropping our daughter, Megan, off at college in August I asked what she would think if I pushed up the timetable for the ride by two years and go it alone. I was somewhat surprised at, and maybe even a little concerned about
:-), how supportive she was of the idea. She said that she knew I had been dreaming of this ride for years and that if I had a chance to do it now, I should. So I did.

I don't think many spouses in Sheila's position would even grudgingly approve of a trip like this trip by their spouse at this time of life, let alone enthusiastically support it. Sheila works more than full time, and I know she had to make a lot of sacrifices to accommodate this ultimate boondoggle.

Thank you so much for making this dream come true, Sheila. I can't wait to get home to see you!!

1 comment: