Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Day 41 - Donaldsonville, LA to New Orleans, LA (77 Miles)

Temperatures finally dropped last night and I enjoyed a nice tail wind today for the first time in at least a month! Nice ride along the River Road. Went past a number of old plantations dating back to the 18th and early part of the 19th century, including the famous Oak Alley.

After crossing the River on the Edgard/Reserve Ferry followed by about 14 miles of white knuckled riding through some gnarly traffic, I had a great ride into New Orleans on the Levee Trail. The Levee Trail offered great views of the River and New Orleans and surrounding metropolitan area. And it was great way to avoid the traffic!

Upon arriving in New Orleans I stopped to get my bearings at a bar known as Cooter Brown's located near St. Charles Ave. and the Leveel Trail. There I met Gene, an art dealer who is a native of New Orleans who splits time between Santa Monica, CA and New Orleans. Gene gave me a very warm welcome to the Crescent City.

I am staying tonight at the home of my friend Bob Conway's parents, Bill and Bonnie, who live near Tulane University. Bill and Bonnie are very gracious hosts and we spent a long time talking about a wide range of things related to the River, bridges over the River, and the City of New Orleans.

Bob will be joining me here tomorrow evening for the conclusion of this journey. That means a play day for me in the Big Easy tomorrow! I am planning to eat well and to visit the outstanding World War II museum near Lee Circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment