Thursday, October 6, 2011

Commentary on Wind v. Hills

From about Mile 400 through mile 1,600, The Mississippi River Bicycle Trail tends to be pretty hilly. There are not mountains, but there sure are a lot of ups and downs with the climbs ranging from 200 - 550 feet.

I don't mind the hills so much as they enhance the scenery and provide opportunities for exercise. Further, for every hill you climb you are rewarded with a downhill run on which your top speed often is in the range of 35-40 mph.

What I do tend to mind is headwinds; and I have had a lot more headwinds on this trip than tailwinds. I always say that wind is the enemy you can't see and the friend who you seldom know is there. Steady headwind can really make for a long, slow ride. And wind gusts can be truly demoralizing! And unlike hills, there is no corresponding reward for fighting the wind.

So given the choice, I will take hills over headwinds any time. Of course, I would take tailwinds over headwinds. The only drawback there is that as you ride the MRT southward in the autumn, tailwinds are often accompanied by colder temperatures. Everything in life seems to involve a tradeoff!

No comments:

Post a Comment