Sunday, September 4, 2011

Commentary on Bars

Early on in this tour I am rediscovering my long lost fondness for bars. The main purpose of this bicycle trip is to experience up close and personal the cultures and beauty of the Mississippi River Valley. What better place to experience local culture than in a bar? At one bar a woman sitting next to me asked if I thought it was wierd that her niece had just married her fiance's best friend. No, not at all. Intergenerational marriages are a good thing and this one will keep the family close! At another bar I witnessed a waitress storm up to the bar and admonish the bartender in a very loud manner for setting her up the previous night with the bartender's cousin. Seems that the bartender's cousin was married. Reality TV can't compare to reality!

Another good thing about bars is that they are a great place to get reliable directions. Everyone is very willing to help and you get directions by committee, often producing multiple optional routes from which to choose! But I have never received a bum steer at a bar. I remember when I was growing up if my parents needed directions they went to a gas station. I tried that a few times on this trip without much success.

No comments:

Post a Comment