Friday, September 16, 2011

Day 8 - La Crosse, WI to Mc Gregor, Iowa. (63 miles)

I never knew this part of Iowa was so hilly!?! But it is beautiful and these river towns are authentic jewels. I am staying just down the road from the Ringling Brothers childhood home where they staged their first circus as children. Stopped at the Effigy Mounds National Monument near Marquette , Iowa and took a gorgeous hike. Nice break from cycling. This area is known as a mecca for white tail deer hunters. Fall color tours are also very popular and help fuel the economies of these small, quaint, old river towns. There are a lot of native American historical sites in this area. It is fun to stop and read all of the historical markers. Some friends from Chicago called and are going to meet me in Galena, Illinois on Saturday afternoon and ride a ways with me on Sunday. I better get pedaling!

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment