Saturday, September 24, 2011

Day 16 - Hamilton, IL to Hannibal, MO (65 Miles)

Another gorgeous day for riding! Did get chased by a snarling, fast dog. Very exhilarating!

The terrain I rode through today was mostly gently rolling farmland. Went through the town of Quincy, IL where I saw the site of the famous October 1858 debate between Lincoln and Douglas over the issue of slavery. The debate was the sixth in a series of seven debates in their Senate race.

Quincy is also famous for its impressive residential architecture. I rode around the city and saw many of the beautifully maintained old homes, some of which reminded me of some of the old homes of the same era in my hometown of Owosso, Michigan.

Ended the day by crossing into Missouri, the fifth state I have visited on this trip. I will be spending the evening and part of the day tomorrow seeing the sights in Mark Twain's hometown of Hannibal, Missouri.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment