Friday, September 30, 2011

Day 22 - Chester, IL to Jonesboro, IL (67 Miles)

I had no idea when I awoke that I was in the hometown of a very prominent American figure - Popeye! (Technically, the hometown of Popeye's creator, Elzie Crisler Segar)

Upon learning that important fact, I had to make a side trip to the Popeye Museum where I had a delightful conversation with the owner and founder of the Official Popeye Fan Club, Debbie Brooks. Popeye and all of his fellow cartoon characters were based on actual residents of Chester whom Segar knew as a youth. Among other things I learned that Popeye was introduced as a secondary character in the comic in 1929, ten years after the comic was started featuring the beloved Olive Oyl.

I ended the day in Jonesboro, site of the third Lincoln Douglas debate in 1858.

From Popeye to Honest Abe it was another great day on the fascinating Mississippi River Trail!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment