Saturday, September 24, 2011

Day 17 - Hannibal, MO to Louisiana, MO (36 Miles)

Eventful day. Crossed the 1,000 mile milestone today! Still loving every mile of this trip.

The Samuel Clemens / Mark Twain business continues
to boom in Hannibal! This place made me feel like a little kid as I visited Mark Twain's boyhood home and the places made famous in Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. It was also fun to see thirteen of the original Norman Rockwell paintings used in the illustrated Tom Sawyer book.

This afternoon it was 36 hilly miles (punctuated by a mile of rugged dirt road that had washed out this spring) which put me in Louisiana, MO, a town of fewer than 4,000 that I had never heard of before today. It is obvious that, like many of the river towns I have seen, there was once a lot of money in this beautiful town; but it has long since migrated elsewhere. It is amazing to me to see how much wealth the River generated between 1850 and 1950.

I saw a first rate blues band from Nashville tonight, the Scott Holt Band. Scott Holt played with Buddy Guy for eleven years before striking out on his own. I met the drummer, Tom Larson, as I rode into town earlier this afternoon.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment